Skip to main content

THE HEART-WRENCHING BEAUTY OF CHANGE

Change

Learning the Art of Acceptance

I sat on my balcony with a hot cup of coffee, lost in the moment, observing dandelion fluff floating through the breeze. As I became mindful of this small wonder of nature, I decided to allow my thoughts to follow it as it drifted gently down to earth. 

Its life was over. Its final act? A beautiful gift to me - a reward for a moment of mindfulness. As my thoughts dwelt on the existence of the dandelion, and it impermanent nature, I began to awaken to the idea that the temporary nature of its existence is one of the biggest reasons it was so wondrous.

It likely began it's life in an open field near the bay... blossomed into a beautiful yellow flower... and then aged gracefully until the wind carried it away. If the dandelion last forever, it wouldn’t have the same poignant beauty, and we’d take it for granted.

The wildflower’s impermanence, its fleetingness, its transience — this is what makes its very existence special.

The Awakening


These thoughts on impermanence came at a very opportune time. I was going through a very challenging time in my life. I was in the healing process after losing the girl of my dreams and it was going slower than I would have liked. I had been lost in darkness of pain, reliving it over and over... and I wasn't coming out of the darkness anytime soon. Even though I knew I was spiraling toward depression, I couldn't bring myself out of it. I couldn't stop the free-fall. It's an understatement to say that I was exploring my suffering to the fullest extent... and had been for a long time.

In the moment of mindfulness - observing a dandelion seed wafting in the air - I realized the cause of my suffering.

I realized in this moment that there was no blame to be had for my heartache. There was no fault or wrongdoing. It wasn't her or her actions. It wasn't me or my actions... I realized in that moment that the cause of my suffering was an attachment to an idea of permanence

I had struggled to accept that my idea of what I thought we had was only in my head. In fact, I had struggled to accept change.

If I wanted to end my cycle of suffering, I had to practice the Art of Acceptance.


The Lesson


The beauty of this entire experience came as I watched the dandelion seed land in the grass below. 

Just as the fluff of a dying dandelion demonstrated the impermanence of life in this earthly world, it also demonstrates that new beginnings arise from old endings. The dandelion goes through its cycle of life - taking root, sprouting, growing, flowering, and finally sending it's seed as a final gift to the world... to begin anew.

The dandelion doesn't allow suffering to come from its inevitable change. It doesn't attach it's livelihood to an idea of permanence. The dandelion simply accepts the cycle of change, and flows with it. It's the same with almost everything in nature. Of all creations on this earth, only humans cling to an idea of permanence.


As humans, we tend to cling to an idea of permanence, and we mistakenly believe that once a desire is attained, there will be lasting fulfillment. This idea brings suffering when challenged or proven to be false. We don’t want things to change, we want things to be the way we want them. And when they aren’t, we are stressed out, frustrated, disappointed, grieving, mourning, or wishing things were different.

But what if we could accept this impermanence, accept the reality of this moment, and embrace it as if it were the dandelion? What if we could realize that the ending of a cycle, the impermanence of life, was simply a new beginning?

What if we could be mindful of Ego and remain unattached to ideas of permanence? Would this end some of our suffering?

The End of Suffering


Impermanence and change are undeniable truths of our human existence. What is real is the existing moment, the Now. The Now is ever-unfolding. It is destined to change.

It is by becoming aware of it, by observing it and by understanding it, one can find a suitable remedy for the suffering and achieve liberation from this process of "attachment to permanence". That remedy is the Art of Acceptance... learning to let go of ego and accept things the way they are, without judgment, and without attachment.

When we practice the Art of Acceptance, we can see the beauty in the transient, fleeting nature of things; knowing that - like the dandelion - this impermanence is what makes every experience special.



- The Boatman






Comments

Most Popular

5 SIGNS OF SPIRITUAL ARROGANCE

Humility is a Virtue If you are a follower of any 'Spiritual" groups on Facebook or other social media outlet, you might have run into people who are - for lack of a better term - spiritually arrogant. You can see it when people talk about how " awakened " or " enlightened " they are. Particularly in reference to another person or differing belief. You know what I'm talking about... phrases such as "Before my awakening", or "people still caught in the matrix", or "When he awakens he will understand".  In any field, whether it’s sports, the arts, profession, or spiritual growth, there are always going to be some people that are farther along in their development than others... but that's not the point. More so, it is what happens to people once they begin to expand into levels of awareness they've never felt before. How does this happen? We live in a society where “trash-talking” athletes and eg

THE PAINFUL TRUTH OF SPIRITUAL AWAKENING

The Dark Side of Awakening As humans, whether we like it or not, we are in a constant state of spiritual awakening. We are constantly growing, learning, and nourishing our inner-being by continuing to have life-experiences. Even when we seem to be in a spiritual retrograde - or suffer from spiritual fatigue - we are on a path of awakening. Even when we've felt a previous awakening within ourselves, the journey continues. We travel from one awakening to the next - each revealing new secrets about who we are and why we are here. Sometimes, we even return to a previous awakening. There, we learn pieces of the lessons we didn't learn the first time through. And with each awakening, we grow closer to the convergence of our mind, body, and spirit in what is sure to be the ultimate state of being. The Painful Truth Many people think of the terms "Spiritual Awakening" and "Enlightenment" and have a mental image of the sun breaking through the clouds